Sunday, July 10, 2011

BIG sheepshead and spadefish.

I found out that a job got cancelled so it gave me a whole day to fish! I launched from under the CBBT at about 8:30AM and had 2 citation sheepshead (24.5" and 25" Both released) by 11-12 o'clock. I circled around the 1st island looking for black drum but didn't have any takers. I took some frozen sea clams and tried for spadefish around the pilings close to the island and ended up with some nice spades ranging from 11"-16.5"  Total for the day was 2 sheepshead, 6 spadefish, 4-5 croaker, an oyster toad, and a few bluefish. I was lucky enough to have Kayak Kevin call and warn me about an hour before a big front pushed through. Just as I got to the truck the storm hit and it was bad! I heard reports of 60mph winds! Sometimes it doesn't pay to fish that extra hour.














10 comments:

  1. Woo! That's a big 'ol sheepshead. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big old is right! Did you know that when they are that size they can be as old as 25-30 years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good sized Sheepshead. I was chatting to a friend from Tampa yesterday, hoping to get over there for Christmas. He reckons that they're a target species for that time of year. They look like they'd be a lot of fun on light gear !

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are some of the hardest fighting fish I have caught. Unreal how hard they pull. Light tackle Might be tough to get em in cause they shoot straight for structure. I was using a shimano trevala (offshore jigging rod)and my release reel with 15+ pounds of drag 50lb powerpro and 60# mono leader. My buddy had one bend his hook wide open...yeah they are tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you give a rundown on how you fish for sheeps? I have heard its basically a carolina rig and you work the entire length of the piling?
    thanks,
    Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of my fish have come off the bottom (though I've heard that they can be anywhere on the pilings)using fiddler crabs. I just use a simple bottom rig with a dropper loop about 12-15" up from the weight. I'm thinking about posting a video on how the set up the whole rig from start to finish. I'll put it on a tab labeled "rigs" on my home page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just awesome. Congratulations on the super catches.
    Craig Outdoors
    Ablaze Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to get out there sometime this summer when the wind lays down enough for a 16ft skiff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fishing opportunities are abundant because of its many coastlines, rivers, lakes and ponds. A wide variety of species inhabit Maine's waters. Freshwater fishes are categorized into living in cold and warm waters. See this

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Pflueger Trion 66L Baitcasting Reel: The Trion 66L offers a tried and true, smooth execution. It has a 6 stick movable stopping mechanism that you can't beat. baitcasting reel reviews

    ReplyDelete